Thursday, September 15, 2005

Oh and also

This may be old news - in fact, I'm sure it is, but let's pretend otherwise - but did you know that being gay is still a billable medical diagnosis?

I'm sitting here filling out my Medicare billing application, and there it is - "302.0: Ego-dystonic homosexuality" - right above pedo- and zoophilia, but below the personality disorders. It is further followed by diagnoses like anorexia, encopresis (pants pooping), "misery and unhappiness disorder," Alzheimer's and deaf mutism, all of which are pretty tame, leading me to believe that the further down the list you fall, the less fucked up you are.

Except that would make being gay worse than fucking dogs or children - pipe down, editorializers - or, for that matter, flashing your business to strangers, stuttering, or being mildly mentally retarded. OK, so those last two are arguably less punishable than being queer, but still...

I guess my point is that I should be entitled to better mental health insurance, or at least more time off, or a free iPod Nano.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ego-dystonic homosexuality means "you're gay, you want to be straight".

Not ever to be confused with "you're gay, and you're happy with it". So yeah, being gay and self-hating is still a psychiatric problem, but plain old being gay isn't. Plain old gay hasn't been in the DSM for 40 years.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Groomzilla said...

Thanks, Pauline, for invalidating my entire post. And for increasing my ego-dystonia.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Veruca Salt said...

damn - I was thinking that if there was an iPod Nano involved, I'd TOTALLY switch teams, those things are COOL!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

what if i have ego-dystonic poverty? will somebody out there by me an ipod nano, too?

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

groomzillas online Personal Blog Top Sites