Sunday, September 25, 2005

Men on a mission

As a gay man with expensive taste who has finally been granted some of the golden keys of heteronormativity, I'm ashamed that it has taken me this long to be able to say it, but as of yesterday at 4pm, M. and I are finally registered.

At one place, anyways.

And even then, only partially, because what started out as an afternoon of giddy gift-choosing excitement with two fresh-faced young grooms-to-be quickly turned into a spectacle of chaos and gluttony by two weary- and bleary-eyed zombies plagued by broken scanner-guns and missing SKUs and vacant salesmen.

Registering for wedding gifts is a little bit like those shows where they would give the ten-year old kid 5 minutes to fill his shopping cart in the toy store, and he would always spend the first four minutes searching for the big-ticket items like the dirt bikes and the computers, but once things got down to the wire, he would just start frantically tossing anything he could find into the cart, like sixty hula hoops or a five-foot stuffed pink dog.

After we'd tagged and bagged the Kitchen-Aid mixer and the Le Creuset casserole, it became less about what we really needed and more about what we thought we should need, or even could need, or what might possibly fill the bottomless and empty soul of our kitchen. Thankfully, after standing in front of the knife collection with Vacant Salesman Number Three for ten minutes, unable to decide on just how many different lengths of paring and carving and cleaving knives we actually might need, it dawned on us that we don't even know how to pare or carve or cleave, so we decided to just settle on the basics.

Like a santoku knife. And an asparagus collander. And a silicone spoonula.

7 Comments:

Blogger ridiculous said...

but what about the bouillion spoons?????

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are the knives you need:
chef's
paring
cleaver
set of steak knives

possibly bread but not really

a cheese plane is fun!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

"Spoonula." Is it just me or is that supposed to sound dirty?

3:42 PM  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

What about the platinum cast melon baller?

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get married. Certainly.

I use my bread knife almost daily, but i do not own, nor have I ever needed, steak knives. Other items I adore: the microplane, set of 3 cutting boards from tiny to huge, my silicone spoonula, my Wustof santoku knife and my Cutco chef's knife. The salad spinner is wonderful but I should have selected the smaller version.

7:59 PM  
Blogger g said...

As long as you've included something which is "Ribbed for your Pleasure"...

3:26 PM  
Blogger Groomzilla said...

Aw, thanks.

Evidently, "bouillion spoons" are just "soup spoons" - or at least, that's what spoketh Momzilla.

Just the meat grinder. M. wants the pasta maker. I'm having fuzzy pumper barber shop memories.

Thanks fbz. No santoku?

Spoonula - yes, apparently. Like uvula. Or fellatio.

Surprisingly, already have a baller. Don't ball so much, though.

OKOKOK I'm sold on a cheese plane, microplane, whatever. Couldn't I just use the santoku?

Dirty. I'm telling. Seriously, though, if you see something that fits this bill, in addition to serving a culinary purpose, let me know. Chef's secret.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

groomzillas online Personal Blog Top Sites